Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Garden of Plants and Quilts

June 13, 2013 Thursday. Its still raining, I thought I would show you a little glimpse of my gardens today since I have been sharing some of my flowers as they come out. My gardens are very large and so they take a lot of work to maintain. The weather has not cooperated very well so there is edging, mulching and a lot of weeding still to be done. I am balancing it around the quilting we do, so it hasn't been too bad. This picture shows the front gardens . You will see the fountain and arbors in the next picture. You really can't see many flowers in these pictures but you can see some of the general layout. These gardens are bordered by Austrian Pines on one side and Red Pines across the end. They make a great protection backdrop for the many perennials I have and are also home to many birds.

 I told you I put in  a vegetable garden this year after 12 years absensce. I just managed to plant it a couple of weeks ago, between rain storms. Its been raining and cold ever since but the plants are starting to come. We installed a chain link fence around it to keep out the groundhogs and rabbits. It also makes a good place for sunflowers , sweet peas. and scarlet runner beans to climb; which are all up. Hopefully it will warm up and things will grow better yet.
I titled todays posting "A Garden of Plants and Quilts", and this quilt is a garden of many fabrics. It is a beautiful old Churn Dash pattern that Carol has completed. Carol calls her quilt "A Splash of Dash", and that it is. It is 94x104 and is quilted in the pattern "Honeysuckle 8". I love the colors in this quilt and the all over quilting pattern looks very nice. This is another cozy, and charming quilt done by Carol and will be cherished for years to come.  

Check out the lovely pattern on this quilt. It shows very well.


No comments:

Post a Comment